1st Quarter Recap
I just finished 1st quarter of senior year. My last 1st quarter of my pre-college academic career. It's crazy to think about. 3 more quarters and I'm out of here for good.
Here's a short little reflection. Was it a good quarter? Meh. Did I have a mental breakdown? Um... next question. How many times did I cry? I'd say only a few... I think. Is senioritis hitting? It's been hitting since day one and I've never looked back!
But the real question I'm asking myself now is "Will I graduate with all A's?". My answer is "does it really matter?".
If this past quarter has taught me anything, it's that grades really don't define who you are as a student or person. I know you've probably been told that literally a million times now by your teachers, parents, friends, etc. but I truly believe that statement. Here's why.
AP Calculus BC, the home to all my blood, sweat, tears, and stress. God can anyone explain to me why the heck I need to find the derivative of anything or when I will ever use limits again in my life. It baffles me how math has evolved from simple addition to the chain rule and L'Hopital's rule. Please take me back to when I actually understood the material I was being taught. Anyways beside the point, it's safe to say that I did not finish the quarter with an A...
I've never received a B before in my life, but I honestly feel indifferent. Which is, in a way, bad and good. Bad because I don't feel like my world, consisting of only A's, is going to end. And good because I don't feel like my world, consisting of only A's, is going to end. That B opened up a whole new outlook on school. One B was not going to ruin my academic career (might ruin my GPA but I'm going to momentarily forget that exists). I'm still going to college. I'm still going to get a degree. I'm not going to be living in my car with a minimum wage job - unless I am which is also slay... I'm not one to judge. Ultimately, I'm still going to be successful in the future (knock on wood). Grades do matter but not to the magnitude others make it out to be.
I now go out with my friends more often, take stress-free naps, do more things that make me happy, and even have a job. I guess it took me my whole academic career up until this point to realize that I'm worth much more than a stupid letter grade.
As much as I will try to end my high school career on a positive and happy note, I hope you will also strive to live out a content high school life, beyond your intellectual skills.

Comments
Post a Comment