Mochi Memories
To most, this is just an ordinary picture capturing a sweet moment between a grandpa and his adorable granddaughter. Although that is the scene portrayed in the picture, to me this moment holds a special place in my heart.
I was turning 2 and I don’t remember much but the addictive strawberry mochi cake is still engraved in my mind. Ever since I was little, I’ve been an avid mochi consumer. Whether it be mochi ice cream, mochi donuts, or regular rice cakes, you’ll never see me refuse this delectable treat. The white mochi flour around my mouth is a clear indication that I very much enjoyed eating this cake; although I would’ve appreciated it if someone wiped my mouth before taking this picture (what a great candid shot though :/). Not only am I savoring the cake but my grandpa is also indulging this delicious dessert. He was fairly old; his teeth not in the shape to consume hard solids. Fortunately, the mochi was soft enough for his aged teeth to eat and my premature baby teeth to eat. It was a win-win situation. My mom told me that I get my mochi-loving genes from my grandpa which is ironically shown in the photo — like grandpa, like granddaughter.
A few years later, my grandpa passed away from old age and this picture was one of the last few memories I had with him. The sweet mochi shared between the two of us mirror the sweet memories that were created when I was with him.

Wow Victoria! I love how detailed your descriptions are. It is so sweet how you talked about the similarities you share with your grandfather. This was very well written!
ReplyDelete