I Have This Thing

     I have this thing where I post Instagram stories of picture collages and I always put my blood, sweat, and tears into them for like the 100 people that view it. My point is I never upload one without choosing the perfect song for the background. On Instagram there's this feature where you can see the lyrics of a song and that made me realize how much song lyrics mean to me. Even if the beat is the best thing I've ever heard, if the lyrics don't match the vibes, then I pick a different song.  

    Some of you may have read my title and thought that I was going to write about the songwriting queen herself, Taylor Swift. But nope, I actually have a different artist whose songs intrigue me more.


Conan Lee Gray. After signing with Republic Records in 2018, he started his career by releasing his debut EP
Sunset Season. He then went on to release his first album, Kid Krow, in 2020, which became a mega-hit because of the success he found in his songs "Heather" and "Maniac". In 2022, he released his second album Superache






    Conan's songwriting style is very personal, heartfelt, and genuine. It's not like some mainstream pop music that kind of just sounds like noise music. He writes all of his lyrics himself, and he always tells a story. I think that's what I like so much about his music. I feel a connection even if I've never gone through the same experiences he has.

    I especially love his song "People Watching". The song is written from Conan's perception of a couple that he's observing. My favorite lyric is "I'm only looking just to live through you vicariously", which I think is just a beautifully written line.

    My poem is about a perfect girl that I imagine myself living vicariously through.

I see you at your desk at night

You always have it right

Life is good

Never misunderstood

I see your face lit up with a smile

Sipping on your tea, chamomile

Life is good

Never misunderstood

Perfect hair, perfect eyes

Perfect life with no lies

Life is good

Never misunderstood

I bask in your beauty, delightfully

I live through your beauty, vicariously





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Influenced?

1st Quarter Recap

Best of Both Worlds