Words Are Hard

     Words are weird. They can make us feel so many emotions without even doing anything. Like how hearing the word "test" fills me up with anxiety and stress, while the word "sleep" gives me comfort. On the other hand, someone else hearing those words could feel the same thoughts and feelings as me or they could feel the complete opposite. Maybe this is why I'm scared of poetry.

    I resist poetry because of the complexity of the words. By the complexity of the words, I don't mean super big words or the words themselves, I mean the depth and significance of the words. Poetry always has more meaning than what appears on the paper. A poem could tell a million stories in just 2 lines. I'm sure I overexaggerated that number but you get the point. When reading poetry, you can never just read the words, you have to understand them on a deeper level and figure out what the poet is trying to say. While some would argue that that's the beauty of poetry, I would have to strongly disagree.

    When I read poetry, I often find myself asking, "What the heck did I just read?". In what world does the petal falling off the flower signify the cycle of life and how does that foreshadow the death of the dog and how does the dog showcase our capitalistic society and how does is our capitalistic society symbolized by the title and so forth (this is what the poetry mcq feels like to me... :/).  I guess in a poet's world is no end to the capabilities of words. 


    Even though poetry is a mystery to me, when I see other people actually enjoy the poetry they read, learn from them, and feel different kinds of emotions, I want to be like them. I want to enjoy poetry. I want to gravitate towards it. I want to understand it. And I want to feel comfortable with it.

    Maybe in the coming weeks, I'll discover a hidden love for poetry. Or maybe not. Who knows?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Influenced?

1st Quarter Recap

Best of Both Worlds